or
Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 616 (2nd Gen) pops, crackles and drop outs issue

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Scarlett 616 (2nd Gen) pops, crackles and drop outs issue
Hi I have just updated from a 1st gen 212 to a 2nd gen 616. I am getting lots of pops, crackles and random drop outs when using my DAW, desktop amp sims like bias fx or guitar rig and even normal audio such as watching youtube etc.

I have completely removed all previous drivers and software, have the latest ones installed for 2nd gen 616 and mix control software, have tried lowering and highering the buffers to no avail.I used to run the 212 at 24bit 48hrz no issues but with the same settings on the 616 2nd gen its almost impossible to use.

I am currently ruinning a 6 core AMD Pheanom II at 2.8ghz with 8gb of ram. I have heard that focusrite gear does not like AMD boards is this true? and do I need to change interface again or can this be rectified?

Hope someone can help as Im in the middle of mixing an EP!

cheers
chris
:(((:oo::furieux:
Hi Chris,

Sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing and apologies I haven't responded sooner, this is the first time I've been on the forum in the new year. You're correct in that we are aware of issues with AMD processors and our bus powered first generation devices but this shouldn't be happening with your 2nd Gen 6i6.

At this point it is probably worth opening a support ticket or speaking to us on Livechat as your issue could be one of many things. Just navigate to https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new and on the right of the page, you'll see a 'Talk to an Expert' button that you can use to contact us (Mon - Fri, 10:00 - 01:00 UK time).

Alex Bull // Focusrite Technical Support
I'm having exactly the same problems! I adopted all the tips & tricks one can find on the Focusrite help page, but nothing helps... The audio drops sound like a "hick". I played with the buffer size, but no positive result.

My laptop is an Intel I7, 16 GB of RAM and 500 GB SSD. Should be enough, in my opinion.

I've read on different forums the same problems. I could be a windows 10 + asio driver problem.
Hi dirkc_be,

Apologies for the oversight on your forum post!

Have you opened a support ticket with us? If so, would you mind providing me with your Ticket# so that I can personally look into your case?

With the behavior of audio dropouts, it will also be ideal to test for DPC Latency.

Has that been done while successfully reproducing the behavior?

Best regards,
David // Focusrite Technical Support
Hello David,

Yes, I did open a ticket: number 1033262

I also had some email exchanges with Eddie in the meantime, but till today no solution.

I was lucky to - finally- have a message on the LatencyMon report, saying:

"Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer overrun.
One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates."

I applied already a really long list of tips and tricks that I've found on the Focusrite and others sites, but I still experience the short audio losses, that sound a little bit like a hiccough, even just playing a simple wav-file.

All tips are welcome, because I'm rather frustrated with that problems, already lasting several weeks.

What I don't understand: I'm not the only laptop+win10+Scarlett6i6 user in this world, so am I the only one experiencing this problem? That's hard to believe!

My gear: Lenovo Laptop, Win 10, I7 CPU, 16 GB of RAM and 512 GD SSD.

Regards!

Dirk