or
Create an account

or

Thread Saffire L56 works in my DAWs but won't play WMP

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 1 follower
1 Saffire L56 works in my DAWs but won't play WMP
My L56 has quit playing audio files through Sony Sound Forge (7), Windows Media Player and another player I have. Harrison 32C and Sony Vegas Pro (10) are my DAWs and both of those play projects I have created or opened in them just fine. If I want to play back a mix that I made an try to listen to it through SF, WMP or any of the other Media players that I have on the computer, I get a msg that says that I don't have an error msg stating an issue with the sound card installed on the PC.

WMP provides this msg: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

SONY Sound Forge generates this msg: "The 'Speakers (Saffire Audio)' playback device does not support one or more of the current format parameters (sample rate, number of channels, or bits per sample)." Audio attributes are .wav file, 44.1KHz, 16 bit, stereo.

Groove Music says: "Can't Play. We can't find an audio device. Make sure headphones or speakers are connected. For more info, search your device for "Manage audio devices.""

I can reboot the PC and open only any one of the players and get their error msg.

The L56 has been intermittently flaky with my system as I've seen another issue posted on here about it not playing audio after Windows wakes up. I've had that problem, where sometimes I'll attempt to play a file that won't play and I see that the FW Active led is out. Restarting the PC sometimes works, or restarting the PC AND the L56 will make it start working. If those attempts don't work, I have a whole Notepad file of "fixes" for this issue that seem to work once or twice then suddenly they won't. So I have to dig around for sometimes days until I finally come up with a new solution.

With the current issue I'm experiencing though, I haven't found anything at all to make it play audio files except through my DAWs because while the DAW programs SEE the L56, normal media players don't seem to.

I'm running MixControl 3.7 (which I uninstalled and reinstalled prior to posting) and the L56 (Liquid56-OO3ccb -Firmware is version 2761. DSP version is 1.1:0.1(69). Hardware ID is 15563and the FW Driver iws 4.3.0.41017 Revision 2869.

I'm sure that there's lots of info that I've left out, but this system has worked for me just fine except for the occasional hiccup that I mentioned earlier that I have found a way to work around many times. I hate the thought of giving up this interface, but it's getting to be too much of a hassle to keep going on like this. I really like this box though...

Thanks to any who might provide any insight into this issue.