Create an account

or

Thread Scarlett 2i4: balanced output inaudible

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Scarlett 2i4: balanced output inaudible
Hi,

Until recently I had a Phonic Firefly audio interface connected to my iMac via FireWire. I used two mono jack-to-jack leads to route the audio output from this to a small mixing console so that I could mix it with other signals (e.g. from an electronic drum kit, or a phone or other device). This always worked without a hitch.

However, I recently upgraded my iMac to a newer model that has no FireWire port, rendering my Firefly interface useless. After a bit of research, I decided to buy a Scarlett 2i4. It's connected to my iMac via USB (of course), and has a pair of active monitors connected to the 1-2 pair of phono outputs. This works fine just for listening to whatever happens to be playing on the iMac. I say this simply to point out that the basic functioning of the 2i4 seems to be OK.

However, when I connect the 1-2 pair of 1/4" jack outputs on the back of the 2i4 to my mixing console (as I used to do with my Phonic Firefly), I don't get any signal showing on the mixing console and I can't hear anything coming through it. I've also tried taking the output from the 3-4 pair of phono outputs, with the same result. I've tested the jack-to-jack cables I'm using and they're fine, as is the mixing console. If I plug a pair of headphones directly into either of the 1-2 output sockets on the back of the 2i4, I can hear audio, though not very loud.

What is happening here? Why can't I get a usable signal from the outputs on the back of the 2i4? Any ideas?

TIA

Rob

Are the daw signals routed to your outputs.
If something is not assigned right you hear nothing.

Same for headphones. These are connected to your main outputs.

Can you make a screen image of the softmixer if you have any?

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Quote from angelie:
Are the daw signals routed to your outputs.
If something is not assigned right you hear nothing.

Same for headphones. These are connected to your main outputs.

Can you make a screen image of the softmixer if you have any?

- Angelie

Thanks for your reply. The problem is occurring without even using a DAW, just playing audio from my Mac through the interface over USB.
I know this is an old post, but I had a similar issue recently.

Make sure that you are using a 1/4" TRS to Dual 1/4" TRS Stereo Interconnect Cable and not a regular two-wire 1/4" cable.