or
Create an account

or

Thread Help me on studio equipments!

• 12 replies
  • 5 participants
  • 5 followers
1 Help me on studio equipments!
So I have a few things of my own right now...
M-audio firewire solo
ADK ST-class condenser mic
shure58
fender p-51
im gonna get a pop filter really soon

Recently someone i know told me that i should invest in a tube mic preamp...
and i've noticed another thing that everyone has a separate speaker for recording...
is it necessary? or can i just use the headphone jack on the solo firewire?

and should i get a mixer?
one more thing that i dont understand, is a MIDI samething as any interface? in a sense that i can connect my mic and guitar through it to record?
Please help :/

Quote: one more thing that i dont understand, is a MIDI samething as any interface? in a sense that i can connect my mic and guitar through it to record?

No, MIDI is a not the same thing as an interface. Midi is like a protocol or a language that enables machines (computers, keyboards, etc etc) to communicate. It's a standard. And it's not physical.

An interface is physical and doesn't necessarily have Midi capabilities.

If you're recording with a mic, you should definitely use headphones. If you don't you'll get feedback, and/or the mic will record what's coming out of he speakers too (the backing tracks).
Hey

You do need some headphones. As for the Monitors look into Brands like Alesis, M-Audio or the likes (there is also an article on the new Mackie Speakers). If you want to do serious mixing then you will eventually need some.
For now headphones will do.
As for the tube preamp...meh. I mean if you have the budget for a good one go ahead...it makes all the difference! But the cheap ones usually don't do much (like Behringer Tube preamps and the likes).

Quote: No, MIDI is a not the same thing as an interface. Midi is like a protocol or a language that enables machines (computers, keyboards, etc etc) to communicate. It's a standard. And it's not physical.

i have protools...does that mean i dont need a MIDI ?

Quote: You do need some headphones. As for the Monitors look into Brands like Alesis, M-Audio or the likes (there is also an article on the new Mackie Speakers). If you want to do serious mixing then you will eventually need some.

are any headphones okay?
or are there special types that makes flaws stand out?
i have those earphones that you shove in your ear that isolate the sound...is that a bad choice to go with?

Quote: i have protools...does that mean i dont need a MIDI ?

Protools has midi capabilities (like just about all sequencers). Midi is not something you buy, it isn't physical. You usually need to get midi "compliant" stuff. Like a keyboard, a midi cable (though usb does the job these days) etc.

are you using a keyboard? or will you be using virtual isntruments? if not then you "probably" don't have to worry about MIDI.

Quote:
are any headphones okay?
or are there special types that makes flaws stand out?
i have those earphones that you shove in your ear that isolate the sound...is that a bad choice to go with?

The headphones are for recording. it's not recommended to mix with headphones (only if you have no monitors). you can try the headphones you have for recording. if they don't bleed (meaning that too much sound can be picked up by the microphone) and you feel comfortable using them (and you can hear yourself ok) then why not.
I want to use like the virtual drums and stuff
but i dont know where to get them :/

protools wont let me do much stuff other than like the basic reverb, delay, compression and crap, i just wanted something to do something to my recording like i mentioned, virtual instruments and such

and i want to get more specific on the topic of mixing,
i've decided to become a music engineer(mixing music and such)
so i wanted to practice...i am going to record, but i want to also mix music
any ideas?
Well if you are serious about mixing then you will have to look into buying a pair of monitors. As for the virtual Drums...what ProTools Version do you use? If you buy for example an MBox you also get a bunch of PlugIns and Virtual Instruments (like BFD Drums)...
...otherwise as for drums maybe look into EZ Drummer - great software for programming drums. If you want to get more into electro maybe give Reason a peak. :clin:

Quote: Well if you are serious about mixing then you will have to look into buying a pair of monitors. As for the virtual Drums...what ProTools Version do you use? If you buy for example an MBox you also get a bunch of PlugIns and Virtual Instruments (like BFD Drums)...
...otherwise as for drums maybe look into EZ Drummer - great software for programming drums. If you want to get more into electro maybe give Reason a peak.

im using protools m-powered 7.4..if that explains the version of it LOL
i just need some drumbeats to make songs like jazz/pop/acoustic and such, not so much techno/electro/rock and stuff

can you name me some plugins for my version of protools ?
I think the M-Powered Bundle has less of a software selection...did you receive BFD Drums? If not then go ahead and get EZ Drummer...if your budget allows.