or
Create an account

or

Thread What is a good mic for vocals, specifically a baritone/tenor?

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 2 followers
1 What is a good mic for vocals, specifically a baritone/tenor?
Hey, I am trying to make my own recording studio/area.

I am wondering what microphone would be best for my voice. I am a baritenor. My budget is around 450$.

If anyone could possibly help me out and give me a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Thank you
an Audio Technica AT4033CL will be perfect for anything u need to do vocals for. it goes for about $400.
or the Audio Technica AT4040 is a little less expensive at about $300.
or a Rode NT1 or NT2 are also good for a even a little less money.
If you're talking about recording in a space such as a bedroom, the old Shure SM58 is great. I tried using a Studio Projects c1 mic, highly touted, but the room reflections it picked up made me sound like a barrel singer. I dug out my old SM58 and the final result was much better. I can't recommend a better $100 or less mic for a male voice in that type of recording situation.
Hopefully, he found what he was looking for in the meantime... ;)

Now,

Quote: I tried using a Studio Projects c1 mic, highly touted, but the room reflections it picked up made me sound like a barrel singer

To avoid that sort of problems there are solutions like SE Electronics' Reflexion Filter (I think there are similar systems made by other manufacturers but it's the first that came to my mind). It only aims at killing the room reverb though, so it won't cut the ambiant noises (computer fan, noise from the outside...) if that's where the problem comes from. And, apparently it's also pretty heavy... But if it can work I think it's always preferable to use a condenser mic instead of a dynamic (like the Shure) when it comes to recording voices which details and nuances are supposed to matter, which I assume was the case for mmcguire since he mentioned that he's a baritenor.
His budget was only $450. After buying a Reflexion, that would leave about $50 to buy that condenser mic. Of course, since it's been a year since he posted his message, maybe he's saved up enough to go your route, which would be preferable. I was just sharing my experience and trying to keep him within his budget I've also had equal success to my Shure with a $99 M-Audio condenser mic. I put a little Auralex on the walls and it works fine, probably because it is really a medium diaphragm mic and not as sensitive as the SP mic. Either way would improve the situation for under $450.