or
Create an account

or

Thread Enhancing Voice Recordings

• 7 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Enhancing Voice Recordings
My current challenge is to transfer audio tapes from a microcassette into the PC and clean them up (remove hiss, tweak the EQ, etc) to improve listenability so that they can be transcribed more easily. I've got the transfer piece figured out, but I'm looking for recommendations on what software to use to do the clean-up. Any info would be appreciated!
Hello haselrick!

You have realy many possibility! First, I need to know if you already work with an audio editor software? And wich OS? And what kind of results are you expecting? Depending the quality you will have different solutions...

If your are running Wndows, so the most appropriates software for audio editing are Wavelab (Steinberg) or SoudForge (Sonic Foundry) (there are many others, of course). You have all you need with these softwares to edit, gate the sound, EQ it etc... with the possibility to add VST or DX plugins

But if you realy want a professional result, so take a look at this kind of plugins:

Restoration / Waves (https://www.waves.com/)

krowms
If you're really into serious audio restoration the Waves Restoration Plugin pack that Krowms suggested is excellent.

Sonic Foundry (now Sony Media Software) also makes a very good plugin pack called Noise Reduction 2.0. It allows you to remove all kinds of noises from clips to hiss and crackles.
BIAS Soap, and Soap PRO are the best bang-for-the-buck, if you ask me.
You should do yourself a favor and check them out. You can get very good results without having to spend money in the bracket of Waves (still worth the $) and equivalent.

Quote: Hello haselrick!

You have realy many possibility! First, I need to know if you already work with an audio editor software? And wich OS? And what kind of results are you expecting? Depending the quality you will have different solutions...

If your are running Wndows, so the most appropriates software for audio editing are Wavelab (Steinberg) or SoudForge (Sonic Foundry) (there are many others, of course). You have all you need with these softwares to edit, gate the sound, EQ it etc... with the possibility to add VST or DX plugins

But if you realy want a professional result, so take a look at this kind of plugins:

Restoration / Waves (https://www.waves.com/)

krowms

hi do u noe that any creative sound card which can actually record sound(in wave format) eg: like i can adjust the equaliazer is it something to do with the frequency, so that i can reduce the background noise or i can use buy any sound card and use good software to edit it????

Quote: BIAS Soap, and Soap PRO are the best bang-for-the-buck, if you ask me.
You should do yourself a favor and check them out. You can get very good results without having to spend money in the bracket of Waves (still worth the $) and equivalent.

mm i dunno $100 just for sound soap, is kinda a ripp, when most wave mixers/editors have their own noise redection programs that work just as good...

just my opinion

Quote: [quote]BIAS Soap, and Soap PRO are the best bang-for-the-buck, if you ask me.

mm i dunno $100 just for sound soap, is kinda a ripp, when most wave mixers/editors have their own noise redection programs that work just as good...

just my opinion[/quote]

Can you name an application that includes plug-ins or the ability to make surgical edits with the same precision as a dedicated program such as Soap, without skewing the source?

What comparisons/differences have you noticed? Just curious.

For someone doing "restoration" on a budget, BIAS Soap is a super deal for the money, considering what it can do. For a more pro-level experienced person, Waves would be the ticket. I use them both, so I can say from personal experience, using Cubase, Logic, Nuendo, and being familiar with other recording apps-- they have their uses.
ok i was wrong i was going to say that adobe audition was about that price (and in my opinion has a great noise/click/pop/hiss reduction program)

but its actually $299

so yea soap IS the best bang for the buck! :)