or
Create an account

or

Thread Serious Mixing Help!!

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Serious Mixing Help!!

ok i been making beats for a while now but i cant seem to get the mixing down. ive done alot of reserch in better getting to know stuff like reverbs,compresors,EQs and all that used in mixing but i really dont know how to put them all together and it never sounds right.  I am currently useing fl studio 9 xxl producer edition.  If anyone has tips on mixing and making my beat sound more professional, please let me know!

the questions i want to know.

1.What effects do i use on strings,claps and snares,hi-hats and symbols,kicks,bass,synth and pads?

2.What effects go in the send channels and what effects go in a specific channel?

3.What should go in the master channel?

4.On Fl Studio 9 how do i take off an effect after i already put it on a channel?

5.Just straight up how to make my music sound better?

Thx for your time

Hey Ghost - Mixing is difficult!  For me, it's about taste and practice.  Knowing your taste and what you like simply comes with practice and more experience.  It's hard to say what effects and moves to make on a mix without hearing it, as mixing on different types of tracks can be a completely different experience.  I always try to get the best possible sound at the source, which always makes the mixing process easier.  The less work you leave for yourself during mixing, the better off you'll be.  While this doesn't really answer any of your specific questions, the key to learning all of the above is simply by experimenting and finding out what works best for you, and this literally takes years!  Haha, keep at it man...
What's up Ghost. Mixing is very hard and if you want you can check my post I just put up a few minutes ago discussing how to get a bigger sound in your mix. please check that out as it may help you a little, I will attempt to answer some of your questions here but its best that you check out my blog site http://www.musicfansfirst.com where I have nothing but information on there for producers and mix engineers.

1st. and the most important. Not every instrument need effects. Effects are to meant to give certain instruments character but if you over do it it will make your music sound muddy and not have that punch to it.

2nd. If your using Fl studio 9 and I've used that a couple of times, most of the sounds come with effects built in like the pads and sometimes even the strings. What I suggest you do is listen to your favorite artist and try to recreate the songs that you like. "HINT DON'T PUT TOO MUCH REVERB ON YOUR DRUMS OR YOU WILL LOSE PUNCH." I know it sounds like a lot of work but it will really help you to develop your ear and get your sound the way you want it to. Try listening to your version of the song and their version of the song in the same environment IE headphones, car stereo or monitors and then fix your mix according to what you hear. I guarantee you that with a little time your mixes will sound great!
Don't try to be like the best. Just be the best you! There's no one else like you so there's really no competition.