Tascam US-122
Images
1/80

Thread Tascam US 122

• 46 replies
  • 32 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Tascam US 122
Y'all will have to forgive me for my ignorance on this subject, but I have been looking at building a PC recording system, and was wondering what you thought of the Tascam US 122. It seems to offer the things I need to put tracks on my hard drive. Anybody have any experience with one?
Show first post
Hum... I just think people who had problems with the US-122 just didn't do it the right way, or really didn't try to do it. Mine worked (I recorded a few sample tracks yeaterday) just after 20 minutes playing with it a little bit. The manual has everything you need to know, and it does have more than 4 pages.

What I got was real little latency, actually, for the human ear it was imperceptible, compared with the direct out of the card itself (using ASIO driver, and Cubase SX on Athlon, very slow, machine)

Please, don't take for granted what you heard from someone else.
I ended up getting the Terratec DMX Fire card in the end so far very impressed and no problems at all putting it onto an XP machine.

Tom M
At last! Someone who got their 122 working! Please please can you tell us all how you did it? I bought one because all the reviews were very positive but had real problems. Then I discovered that there isn't a single satisfied customer... The shop I bought it from were completely unhelpful even though I was asking to return it and buy a much more expensive card. I have a number of problems:
1/ The mic preamps are not nearly powerful enough. I use a Sure beta 58a. But I can put up with this.
2/ The driver seems to mix very hot so most audio output is permantly either on the edge of or actually clipping. An example of this is some of the Windows warning sounds clip!!! I cannot put up with this.
3/ The mixer is pretty narrow - I can only select "Recording" controls to adjust but actually the only channels available are "Output". I can put up with this.

So, I can record, and the audio quality of the thing in record is fantastic, but way too quiet and I get distorted output.

Since I've had the 122 for too long to change it anyway I'd like to get it working and clearly at least one person has got theirs going successfully.

I use Windows XP on a 3GHz P4 and Cubase VST 5.
Hi,

I bought Tascam US-122 about 6 months ago. I use platform PC (Windows Xp,2000,98). I had not absolutely any problem to install the card on my Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz under 98 and Xp (I have both systems on one computer). Also no problems on my IBM ThinkPad notebook with 500 Mhz Celeron, WinXP Czech localization and COMPAQ Presario 700 1,2 Athlon notebook with Win2000.

I used this interface for recording with my band using mix console connected to line inputs. Also I made a record for one czech alternative duet using violins and vocals. I was using Shure PG81 mics powered from Tascam directly. In both cases I used above mentioned COMPAQ notebook to record into. Software used was CollEditPro 2.1 or Cubase SX 1.0.6.78.

I never had any problems with recording, playback, installation or card its self - I simply followed direction in the manual. The records was all about one hour in lenght - no popups or any asynchronicity occured.

The sound recorded is **GREAT**!! It is totaly clean in dynamic range of at least 90 dB on 24 bit. This may be only one disadvantige of this card - the signale to noise ratio what is not as proclamed 99dB but less....

To summary - for price 5200 Kč what is around $235 it is great sound card.

-mayhemer

PS: I hope you will solve your problems to heer what this card can do.
My advice would be to take your pc into the shop and try the card out there! If you have no hassles then fine, otherwise you know.

I use an Athlon 1900+ with 768Mb Ram and Windows XP sp2

Apparently the card prefers Intel chips.

I had quite a few hassles but that's settled with the latest drivers from the tascam site. I had problems installing the card, and with having it suddenly cut out, and with latency.

To improve performance, Tascam documetation recommended disabling certain windows features, not using other usb hardware, and not using a network card. I did these things, as well as bought a HD just for recording and performace improved.

The company didn't get certification for the drivers for use with MS Windows, and that's not good really for a sound card IMO.

Anyway, I'm happy now, and the audio quality is very good but it certainly wasn't a plug-and-play install, like you might expect from usb hardware.

Quote: My advice would be to take your pc into the shop and try the card out there! If you have no hassles then fine, otherwise you know.

I use an Athlon 1900+ with 768Mb Ram and Windows XP sp2

Apparently the card prefers Intel chips.

Yes, i got similar advice from my retailer. He recommended the TASCAM as soon as i asked for a 'decent soundcard (low cost) for simple home recording'. Apparently, it works just fine if you've got the best suitable Pc config which agrees with this soundcard. So if you've got problems, i'm guessing its cause of your PC config.
Hello,

I am new here and I recently bought the TASCAM US-122 for my Compaq Presario 2100 laptop (1.52 GHz, 448 MB of RAM). The TASCAM works and sounds great, however, when I try to record in Cubase SX, the recording seems to "skip" or "cut out" at various moments, as if the program is having trouble catching up with the recording. Although I have been a recording artist for a few years, I've never used laptops and am a bit unsure of the latency problems I may be having. Could I be having trouble because I don't have a USB 2.0 connection? I'm simply using whatever USB outlets the laptop came with originally.

If someone knows what could be the problem, or whether my Cubase settings/latency setting of the TASCAM are the main issues, I would greatly appreciate any feedback!

Thanks in advance!

-V.
The US-122 is a USB 1.1 device and the dropouts are a problem with most usb 1 devices. With desktops, the problem can usually be solved by updating the drivers, and by reconfiguring peripherals so that they don't share irq's with the usb controller.

Unfortunately, you have a laptop so reconfiguring will be quite difficult if not impossible. I suggest you update all drivers and bios for your laptop and seek out the latest drivers for the Tascam. Hopefully, that will remedy the problem.

If those still fail, your might want to try out newer firewire audio interfaces as they have bigger bandwidth and faster bus speeds.

hth,
Thank you for the info. That probably saved me unnecessary spending. However, I believe I now have a bigger problem on my hands.

Admittedly, the Cubase SX I have is a "Try before you buy." However, as hard as it may be to believe me, I seriously have downloaded it so that I can see the full capabilities for the program before I buy it, rather than a mini-demo that allows you to put in 8 tracks of audio at a time. As an electronic/industrial/orchestral musician, I sometimes have up to 40 tracks of audio at one time and I wanted to see how the Cubase works under such pressures. Now, the problems I may be having are probably due to the program being a rip of the original (from my friend's studio).

However, I do have a fully-functional and legit Cool Edit Pro program, and I've been trying to set up the TASCAM to record through it to no avail. Unlike Cubase, to set up the Device Settings seems to be a little more tricky and I was wondering if anyone has used the us-122 with CEPro. If so, how are your device settings configured?

If the us-122 works perfectly well in CEPro, I'll know that the us-122 CAN work with my computer and record at least in some form.

I know that some people may be frowning upon me for my software stealing, but there is no way that I can fully prove to you that I am a serious musician other than to say: I treat all aspects of the music business seriously, including the purchasing of my products. So, please don't hurt me. :shock:

Quote: So, please don't hurt me. :shock:

Hehe. Haven't hurt you yet have I? I trust you'll do the right thing...

But this is a forum where you ask the right questions and you will get the right answers. :D Just keep it clean, dude!