Tascam US-122
Images
1/80

Thread Tascam US 122

• 46 replies
  • 32 participants
  • 2 followers
1 Tascam US 122
Y'all will have to forgive me for my ignorance on this subject, but I have been looking at building a PC recording system, and was wondering what you thought of the Tascam US 122. It seems to offer the things I need to put tracks on my hard drive. Anybody have any experience with one?
Show first post
Re: message above. Turned out the DVD writer had been set to PIO mode, so thats why the system wasn't coping. The Tascam was a catalyst, but probably nothing wrong with it so I don't shall not blacken the Tascam name. Saying that, their support people still haven't returned any of my three emails. Everything seems a bit more stable now though my modem kept crashing then Realplayer crashed it again, but as long as I can burn and listen to CDs again, I am happy! Fingers crossed -thats it sorted. Thanks for sugestions anywya.
Sorry, didn't mean I had Protools- I was just told that the Protools package was better. The US 122 I have came with Cubase LE which is far less exciting, but does the job as far as I can see. I've persuaded a pal to come to have a look at it tonight so will get him to check out the IRQ issue- but saying that I now have an externally powered hub, attached to a PCI card and it still seems to happen whatever port its plugged into . Anyway, thanks for your help. I am just hoping it is something wrong with my PC setup and that TASCAM's aren't just inherently unstable with Windows XP. Will let you know how I get on.
I never knew the US-122 came with Protools! IMO, while it's very good, I think you would be losing out a bit using other hardware with Protools. M-Audio soundcards and, of course, Digidesign hardware are the ones recommended for Protools, btw. I'm a Cubase and Sonar user and those software are more than adequate for most.

Although I don't use the US-122, I suspect that the usb port the US-122 is plugged into is sharing an IRQ with the DVD's ide port. You can check this by right clicking on My Computer then clicking on Properties. Open the Device Manager then View > Resources by Connection. There you will see which devices are sharing which irq. It would help if you could give specs of your pc, what O/S and software you're using. Have you tried using a different usb port on your pc? Some folks resort to using a usb pci card interface so they can skirt the irq sharing issues.

Best,
I recently bought a US-122 and am happy enough with quality for the type of recording I am doing (acoustic demo type stuff) and certainly for the price. However, I am interested in hearing about other peoples problems and the whole stability issue etc as whenever the unit is plugged it affects my DVD writer/player so if I try to play or burn a disk the whole system crashes/powers down. This, as you can imagine is kind of annoying. The shop I bought the PC from seem unable to get to the bottom of the problem and I have heard nothing back from TASCAM. Anyone had similar issues with it or have any idea what might be causing this? PS Everyone I speak to seems to think I should have paid the extra for Protools.
I would suggest checking out the Harmony Central user review before buying a US-122. There are a lot of people who have had the exact same problems that I have....

I bought one a year and 3 days ago. Everything was great right out of the box, loaded the drivers, hooked up the gear, and I was recording in minutes. BTW, I use Sonar Producer Edition 5, so I never messed with the Cubase or whatever it's called...

A few months in and the left channel went bad. No response from Tascam, so I kinda bit my lip and was glad that at least the right channel worked (I tend to only use one at a time anyway).

So yesterday the right channel went bad. So I started digging online for troubleshooting, as Tascam offers squat for support, and found that many people have had the same problems. Channels go bad, and then no support from Tascam. I'm not going to even try, because like I said, I've had it a year and 3 days.... so the warranty expired 3 days ago anyway.

All possible excuses for Tascam aside, no piece of gear should die within a year of very light usage.

Additional lessons:
I bought this on the cheap because I figured with all the controls I have on the desktop that I needed a very minimal piece of gear as the interface. When I replace this POS later today I will buy something with a lot more than just two channels on the interface. Ya never know when you might want to record multiple channels at once (like drums, for example).

I would highly recommend running away from any thoughts of buying this unit.
im getting worried about this now. ive also got one, and as far as i know the reason its not working is because i have little idea what im doing. it makes a really wierd noise when i use it in traktor for djing, sorta skips alot, and i cant seem to record anything.
Suzij, I wish I would have found this forum when you first shared your comments. I would have not bought the US-122.

I have been working with computers and music since the late 80's, so I know when device just craps out.
And that is just what my Tascam US-122 did, as it has done to most of the people in this forum.

The device driver worked great for a year. Then I started getting cracking and popping. It progressively got worse. I updated the drivers...it got worse. I replaced the USB cable...it got worse. I refragged the disk....it got worse. Then it just stopped. No USB light, no sound, no nothing.

I have a PC Notebook with 1gb ram, and I only use it with Reason 3.0. FL 6, and I-tunes. Everything works fine through the internal sound card. The CPU is hardly stressed.

Is there anyone out there that has had a fully functioning US-122 for more than 12 months? If so, how satified are you with it?

Thanks.
hi there. ive got my us-122 and installed everything. but when i start up cubase le and try to record a track, it just doesnt seem to recognise that im playing n e thing. the mixer doesnt respond to my playing. please can someone give me some help because im seriously depressed, :(
Sounds like the same problem I'm having. I installed the drivers just now in Mac OS X. I have two microphones with jack adapters on them, that I've been trying out plugged into the insert jacks, but the mics aren't picking up anything. *Something* is working, because flipping some of the switches will register on the meter in the Sound preferences.

The headphone output does work. Any ideas why the input isn't working?
All the feedback on the tascam US-122 is seriously worrying me!:o

I have recently purchased the tascam us122 audio midi interface including gigastudio and cubase Le and have been able to successfully install the new hardware and upload the drivers for this product. When installing cubase however, I set the program to run the automatic test to check for errors in the buffer and immediatley the sync is lost and after the test is finished the laptop crashes. Is there a major problem between the hardware and the software? Is this a driver problem? I have attempted to increase the buffer size with no avail and have also changed settings in control panel to inputs and outputs directed to the us122 unit. is there a driver which will coreect this problem or perhaps a problem with my laptop setup? Im definitely no expert in this field but when i bought this product I was promised ease of use and a quick setup.

Here are details of my laptop setup:

Intel centrino duo 1.6ghz
100gb hard disk
2gd ram
dvd rewriter
intel media accelerator graphics card 950

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Luke